Weekly calls with the mentors are generally held on Wednesdays. This week, the call was held on Friday (8th June). After discussing about last week’s progress, I was required to make a hierarchy diagram of the function calls (a call graph) to help make it easier to look at what is happening in the code. Since doxygen was already being used for C++ documentation, I had to change a few configuration settings to get the call and caller graphs. Error! (Sigh). After struggling quite a bit to fix it, I found out that Visual Studio has a call graph implementation for projects.
Going back to Windows, I tried to install libRoadRunner using Visual Studio again but was unsuccessful. Another student, Andrew, working on libRoadRunner, was able to successfully build it on Windows. Following the instructions he had posted, I was still unsuccessful in building the project. On mailing him about the issue, he confirmed that he did not get the errors that I was getting. Back to Ubuntu! Somehow got doxygen to work and generated the call and caller graphs, but they were not as expected. It was very incomplete, but it did provide better insight into the code. I will have to try to get the installation working on Windows (move back to Visual Studio 12 maybe) because the inbuilt compilation and debugging is a really powerful tool and will be very useful for writing code.
P.S. GSoC first evaluations are currently going on. Even though I could not progress as much as I would have liked, I have learnt a lot in the past 1.5 months and am confident that I’ll be able to progress much quickly from here onwards.